[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner • View topic - VNAV speed restriction setting errors in FSX

Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 pm 

Hi,

I am using v 1.8 in FSX SP2 (Smiths FMS and 717 ND). If I set speed / altitudes for specific waypoints in the LEGS page, some strange stuff happens on the descent phase:

Set WAYPOINT 220/3000 should give 220kts and descending to 3000, and that is what is shown in the FMS. However, below 10000ft, the speed is being set to 330kts which is just silly!

I don't understand what is going on as I am using settings directly taken from my ISG1 setup in FS9 which holds the restrictions perfectly!

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:36 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:15 am 

Hi Ernie,

Sorry, late night when I wrote that and not enough information! Here's what I do:

Program FMS with departure route, some waypoints, arrival route and set the following...

CLMB
300kts
250/10000 restriction

CRZ
FL360 (or whatever)
/.77 -> gives M077 cruise - works fine

DESC
300kts
240/10000 restriction

On the arrival route, I then put something like this in the LEGS page:

ENRT0 300/140 <- not set by me
WAYP0 240/9200 <- not set by me
WAYP1 240/6000A
WAYP2 220/4000A
WAYP3 200/2300A

The last three then have altitude and speed restrictions set by the FMS...

Now what happens is this:

CLMB to CRZ happens fine and the gauge does set the M077 speed so I know that works (and TOC is seen). Then CRZ to DESC is also fine, because if I set a lower altitude just before TOD, the descent is initiated on scedule.

Passing ENRT0 at 300kts and roughly the right level - ok
Passing FL100 before WAYP0, the DESC page restriction kicks in and there is no problem.
Passing WAYP0, the restriction of WAYP1 should get applied -> ie still 240kts. However, here I get the 330kts problem.
If I now disengage ISG VNAV long enough to set 240kts, then re-engage it, I get my 240kts speed ok but only until passing WAYP1 etc etc.

This is clearly not right, and the odd thing is that in my FS9 version the same problem does not occur. I can code up some restrictions so that the ISG speed cannot exceed a certain set of height based speeds on the descent / approach legs, but then tht defeats the object of having the FMS set restrictions anyway.

Note: The fact that I get 330 as the set speed is possibly because other code will prevent the AP from commanding a speed greater than the barber pole value - 10 kts (during that phase of flight). It could be that ISG is sending an even crazier (higher) speed to the FS!

I'll do another test and post some screenshots later.

Cheers,
Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

It seems to be fine from here.

Its probably best to give me the same flight plan file you have, so I can re-create the route and set the same restrictions you are setting.

Also if that aircraft has a .cfg file, I'll need that as well.

Regards.
Ernie.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 am 

Hi Ernie,

I can replicate this every time with the following:

ENGM - ENGM
Set departure as 01L and MASEV3A SID climbing direct to FL160
Set arrival as 01R and ESEBA3L STAR to ILS via INSUV and VABSO
(* Because of the known fault with picking transitions, you have to select VABSO and add INSUV if it is not there on the LEGS page)
Set restrictions as per the attached screenshots...

The 300 to 280 restriction is fine, and then passing FL100 drops to 240 ok was well. As soon as the 220 kts restriction at INSUV is applied then I get into trouble...

Cheers,
Geoff

My cfg files are as follows:

isg.cfg

LoadFuelonFlightPlanLoad=0 // Load Fuel automatically when Flight Plan is loaded into FMC or MCU
SetDestLoadTowerViewDist=20 // The distance from the destination airport when the tower view is changed to the destination (FS9 only)
SetMCUToPageOnFPlanLoad=1 // Set the active page on the MCU to the 'TO:' page when a flight plan is loaded.
DispAppPtrnAlts=1 // Display Approach and traffic pattern alts
ShowTodBodIndicators=1 // Show TOD/BOD indicators
DispPrevWpt=1 // Display Previous flight plan waypoint (MFD,EHSI).
ParkingFile=isg_parking.txt // Parking positions file
WptProcChgDist=1.5 // Waypoint change distance for procedures (Sid,Star, etc)
FlyoverWptChgDist=1.0
WeightUnit=kgs
McuShowActiveRwys=1
MFDTextAntiAlias=1

FlightPlansFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\Geoff\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

B717_200.cfg

;Boeing 717-200

MaxCruise=36000

MaxVnavDescRate=4000
MaxVnavClimbRate=4000

ClimbIasMax=300
ClimbIasMin=220

ClbAltRest=10000
ClbSpdRest=250

DescentIasMax=300
DescentIasMin=280

DescAltRest=10000
DescSpdRest=240

MinVnavIas=180

MinVNavRadioAlt=500

DispAppPtrnAlts=1

ParkingFile=Parking.txt
LnavSetEnRouteFreqs=1
HoldLegMins=1

FPA=3.3

VnavOffAtLastWpt=0
LnavOffAtLastWpt=0

VnavSetMachCruiseSpd=1
VnavSetSpdRestDist=5

VnavSetAlts=0
VnavSetSpd=1

VrefMin=111
VrefMid=126
VrefMax=144

TransAlt=5000

V1=114
VR=121
V2=130

TOFlapsRange=13,18
LdgFlaps=40

ApprFlapsMin=13
ApprFlapsMid=18
ApprFlapsMax=25

ShowTodBodIndicators=1

ResetApHdg=1
SetMCPCrzAltOnFlightPlanLoad=1
SequenceFPlanWpts=1
WptProcChgDist=2
DispPrevWpt=1

PerformanceData=B712_new_2012.prf

WeightUnit=kgs
CostIndex=65
FlightPlansFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\Geoff\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

LoadFuelonFlightPlanLoad=0 // Load Fuel automatically when Flight Plan is loaded into FMC or MCU
SetDestLoadTowerViewDist=40 // The distance from the destination airport when the tower view is changed to the destination (FS9 only)

EngThrust=18,500
ModelId=B717-200 RR BR715A1-30

HWMD11NDBkgrdColorRed=2
HWMD11NDBkgrdColorGreen=2
HWMD11NDBkgrdColorBlue=8

Attachments:
File comment: CLB page
GCS0107.jpg
GCS0107.jpg [ 233.41 KiB | Viewed 20688 times ]
File comment: CRZ page
GCS0108.jpg
GCS0108.jpg [ 222.04 KiB | Viewed 20688 times ]
File comment: DES page
GCS0109.jpg
GCS0109.jpg [ 245.86 KiB | Viewed 20688 times ]
File comment: LEGS page 1
GCS0110.jpg
GCS0110.jpg [ 255.33 KiB | Viewed 20688 times ]
File comment: LEGS page 2
GCS0111.jpg
GCS0111.jpg [ 218.58 KiB | Viewed 20688 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 am 

... While I'm here, a couple of other odd things with ISG1 in FSX ...

1) If I set FL160 as the CRZ, and 300 kts, the calculated mach comes back as 0.64. I don't know what formula is in use but for STM conditions should be more like M0.604... M0.64 will fly the aircraft at more like 320 kts... Am I missing something here?

2) On the MD11/B717 ND I often see negative angles shown for the VOR radials. eg in screenshot... Surely -01 degrees should be 359 degrees instead..? I don't think I saw this in FS9.

Are these known / seen bugs or is there a chance that my whole ISG1 setup needs reinstalling??

Thanks,
Geoff

Attachments:
File comment: Negative angles...
GCS0111.jpg
GCS0111.jpg [ 125.21 KiB | Viewed 20688 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:17 pm 

I'm going to tentatively release the gauge I've been working on to allow you to have a fix for this and other issues.

I'm not really in a position to test out everything yet, so there could be some things in there broken. But this might be a better alternative for you rather than waiting for me to have time to complete all the work I normlly put into an updatye. I'm just too busy with other projects these days.

Give it a try, if there are problems you can always go back to the original version.

Note: this update will not work, without the full version already being installed.

Regards.
Ernie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:08 pm 

Ok, that's great, thanks very much. Let me know when / where I can get a download and I'll test it out then report back what I see.

Cheers,
Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:24 pm 

Oops, sorry.

I thought I had included the download link.

http://www.isgsim.com/dl/isg182.exe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm 

That's excellent, thanks very much.

The speed change issue appears to be fixed now along with several other small bugs. I do find that the distance before waypoint where the turn is initiated has changed a bit, but perhaps it was not previously reading the cfg properly and my settings might need looking at.

The new XML variables are very welcome too and I will certainly be making use of them. I note that there are no vars for the VOR / ADF needles (with those, the whole EFIS control could be eliminated) so hopefully you will find a little time for those one day.

Thanks again for the update.

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:51 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 am 

been trying this as well Ernie and while it fixes one of the long term 1.8 bugs.. the arrivals button, in addition to the ones listed above:

Fix Page - Fix draws itself ontop of the aircraft's current location not the fix point c-17.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:32 pm 

Another addition to the bugs list:

- On loading an FS flightplan, the waypoints are all loaded and so is the departure airport, however the destination is not loaded and has to be added in manually...

Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:56 am 

Give it a try, if there are problems you can always go back to the original version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 pm