[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner • View topic - Airports not in Database

Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Airports not in Database
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:05 pm 

Hi Ernie,

I was doing a flight from Juneau, Alaska today and I was surprised to find that it wasn't in the database for the Smith's FMS. This a the capital city of Alaska with an 8500' paved runway, receiving international flights;

Shouldn't it be included? Is there a way to manually include it in the database?

The lat/lon is N58* 21.3' W134* 34.6'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:16 pm 

I have it listed in the 0803 ARAIC, with the correct ICAO code of PAJN...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:53 pm 

Hey Owen,

I've got the most recent version of the ISG FMS....are you able to update the data from an outside source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:39 pm 

I just downloaded the 0803 AIRAC updated from the main ISG website, then put the contents in the FS\isg\Navdata folder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:04 pm 

Cool! Thanks, Owen! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:40 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:03 am 

Brian,

Try this: go to FS root folder/ISG/DOCS and open the ISG File Formats.pdf. Then Scroll down to page 6, this will tell you what and where to enter info for an airport. You will enter that info in the file named isg_apts.txt, which is located at FS root folder/ISG/Navdata. Go ahead and read the ISG File Formats.pdf, it explains things much better than I can, and it's actually really simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:42 pm 

Thanks, Robert! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:14 am 

Well, I gave this one a try and despite numerous attempts, I couldn't get the data to match what was in the FMS.

I entered the following for SABA:

SABA JAUNCHO_YRAUSQUIN 197 17.386998 -63.132991 30_1280_17.386634_-63.132042_300_--- 12_1280_17.387336_-63.133931_120_---

When I compared it to the two nearest airports, I found the information to be right in line with what they had, but when I go into the sim, the FMS thinks that SABA is 5000 miles away. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:31 am 

I've got your problem fixed, Brian!

Coords for SABA (spelled JUANCHO_YRAUSQUIN, not "Jaun...") are as follows:
N17* 38.70'
W63* 13.30'

Which is what you entered. I put exactly what you had into my apt file, and while setting at TNCM, the FMS showed SABA was 39nm away, not the 25nm it really is. And I found out why. You entered your coordinates as 17.3870 and -63.1330. This does not work. You need to divide the 38.70' minutes (' stands for minutes) by 60. As well as the 13.30 minutes. This will give you the decimal form of the coords (which is the format the apt data file uses). Doing the math, that means you need to enter the coords as 17.645000 and -63.221666. After I did that my FMS showed SABA as being 25nm form TNCM (where I was setting). Good to go!

I didn't do the math for the runway coordinates, so you'll have to re-do those for yourself :wink: .

Also when you enter the data into the apt file, be sure that the numbers in your columns line up with the ones above and below it (same number of #s and spaces). I don't know if this matters, but it can't hurt.

Also, I used the identifier of both SABA and the ICAO code for Juancho, which is TNCS. Both worked, so whichever you prefer I guess.

I hope all of that made sense...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am 

Wow! :shock:

Great information, Robert! Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:59 am 

Don't thank me until you get it working for sure. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:26 pm 

Hmm,

Well here is what I came up with:

SABA JUANCHO_YRAUSQUIN 197 17.645000 -63.221666 30_1280_17.644390_-63.220070_300_--- 12_1280_17.645560_-63.223218_120_---

It still doesn't show up in the correct hemisphere :?

Of course, its possible my math is incorrect....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:34 pm 

Brian,

I'm sorry for all of the trouble you're having. It seems as though you're doing everything perfectly correct. In fact, I copied and pasted the info you gave in your last post, entered that directly into my isg_apts file ( with no changes at all, no spaces to line the columns up or anything), and here is what i came up with:

SABA is exactly where it should be. I tried to attach my isg_apts file so you can look at, or use it. But it seems to be too large to add to the forum here (537Kb). So if you want, you can PM me with your address, and I'll email it to you. It's from the new AIRAC cycle, and the only change to it is the addition of SABA. Also note, the SABA line is down next to TNCM (since the first time I added the info, I used the ICAO code of TNCS).

Oh, I just thought of this. Are you using Notepad to edit your files? I ran into this problem a few years back with aircraft/panel.cfg's...It seems that using Word, or Wordpad can actually mess up the file. It has something to do with the way that they handle certain charaters. I don't know if that is the same with these ISG files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:11 pm 

Brian,
I believe the reason you are getting a reading of approx 5000nm is that's probably where lat 00 / lon 00 is from that location.

Not sure what the problem is, but it should be noted that whatever entry you add to the file it should be in alphabetical order. To speed up the navaid processing it does not search the entire database, only where alphabetically that Navaid should be.

If it doesn't find it, it might very well come up with a lat/lon value of 0/0.

Regards.
Ernie.